[SAMBA4] Tech preview progress

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Sun Jan 8 21:23:39 GMT 2006

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 09:07:16PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Due to the efforts of Steinar H. Gunderson and others, the Debian
> package that Jelmer started is now on it's way to the experimental
> distribution.

The first packages hit experimental today. I've been told the experimental
autobuilding architecture is a lot less mature than I thought, though, so I
guess it's mostly i386 (and kfreebsd-i386, of all things) for now.

> Blocking the tech preview I see:
>  - SIGTERM handling (metze)
>  - ACLs on registry, needs plumbing work (jelmer)
>  - Documentation (particularly of user management with ldb)
>  - Testing

I'd still wish for faster Win2000 domain join support, but I guess it's no
blocker per se, as it _works_ (only slow)...

> Sometime after that we will need to seriously look at system integration
> issues.  For example, a working Samba4 domain requires a particular DNS
> setup (the zone file loaded by provision).  Changing the settings for
> other services is a sensitive matter for packaging, but if we are to
> ever have a solution that 'just works' we must tackle it somehow.

For Debian, I'll be talking to LaMont Jones (BIND maintainer) about this as
soon as I see him; I'd guess it's an issue for all distributions, though.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/