FHS defaults for samba4

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Fri Jan 6 07:09:00 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 03:36:57PM -0500, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> >On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 12:19:21PM -0700, John H Terpstra wrote:
> >>For packaging we must move to %{_lib} which defaults to /lib on 32-bit
> >>systems and to /lib64 on 64-bit systems.

> >Not all 64-bit systems will use /lib64 -- for instance, amd64 on Debian
> >uses
> >/lib.

> That's very, very unfortunate.  I *think* the LSB (still going through
> it) requires /lib64 and /usr/lib64 for the 64-bit libraries, leaving
> /lib and /usr/lib for 32-bit libraries so that existing 32-bit apps
> will run unchanged on a 64-bit system.

> Are you sure you are using a 64-bit install?

I think the LSB requires LSB packages to install their libraries in /lib64
and /usr/lib64, and it requires the 64-bit LSB linker to search these paths.
I doubt it specifies what other paths the LSB linker may or may not search,
as this would rightly be out of scope for the LSB from what I can tell.

On Debian, AIUI the standard linker does include /lib and /usr/lib in the
path in addition to /lib64 and /usr/lib64, and uses the ELF header to
discard libraries it finds which are inappropriate for the binary in
question.  This doesn't help if a particular 64-bit library package installs
in /usr/lib and you want to install a 32-bit variant, but I think that would
be a distribution packaging issue and not an LSB issue; and in Debian, the
current packaging infrastructure has quite finite support for biarch
libraries.

If you can point me to a part of the LSB that explicitly prohibits the setup
I've described, I'll get on our amd64 porters to fix it; but anyway, I don't
think any of this should be a problem for samba itself, as all possible
combinations should be addressable with judicious use of --libdir.

vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/