FHS defaults for samba4

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Jan 5 21:12:16 GMT 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 12:29, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > As we move towards the tech preview, I have been thinking about old
> > Samba habits that should not die hard.
> >
> > One of these is FHS.  The use of lib for the smb.conf file in the
> > default prefix and the like has been with us for many long years, and we
> > need to fix that up.  In Samba3, debian and the like have patches that
> > change Samba's core to fix this up (even in addition to the --with-fhs
> > configure option), but we should avoid having to do that.
> >
> > Can I have some advise/confirmation, on where we should have:
> >  - include files
> >                /usr/include         PREFIX/include
>
> Unless you only have 1 include file, please us a subdir, e.g.:
>
>      /usr/include/samba4

> >  - plugins
> >                /usr/lib             PREFIX/lib
>
> /usr/lib/samba, unless they will be used outside samba...

No. This will NOT work. You need to accomodate a configuration that permits
BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit plugins. This can be achieved by using the %{_lib}
macro in the RPM SPEC file to determine the build-time location. This way
64-bit plugins will end up in /usr/lib64/samba, and 32-bit plugins
in /usr/lib/samba.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.