Remove smbwrapper?

derrell at samba.org derrell at samba.org
Tue Jan 3 14:49:39 GMT 2006

"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> writes:

> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005, David Collier-Brown wrote:
>
>>   It works fine on Solaris 8 through 10, but I haven't built it lately
>> because it defaults to off instead of auto in Configure. That
>> discourages me from noticing bugs, you see (;-))
>>
>>   As it happens, it only uses a small subset of the functionality of
>> loadparm, and therefor doesn't need the dependency on tdb that the samba
>> server requires.  Indeed, it seems odd to me that it depend on smb.conf
>> at all!  It's not a server, after all.
>
> I think the issue more than anything else is that smbwrapper (the current
> code, not derrell's) has no maintainer and hasn't been developed since
> tridge dropped it back in the 2.0 days I think.
>
> I would support removing it an replacing it with derrell's new version
> just to ease support efforts.

The only problem with this concept is that then people will use it, and I'll
have to support it. :-)

The biggest difference from what used to exist in the original version is with
smbsh: chdir does not work properly in my version.  The user's selection of
current directory doesn't "stick" and since I have never had a need to use it
that way, I've never gotten around to figuring out why.  I recall that it was
a somewhat non-trivial issue.

Then again, if no one has been using the original version, no one will expect
it to work. :-)

Derrell