[SAMBA4] Progress towards the tech preview

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jan 2 22:32:28 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 09:20 +1100, James Peach wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 15:52 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I wanted to update the list on where we are at towards a technology
> > preview of Samba4.
>
> Thanks Andrew, having this info on the list is very useful.
>
> > In the past few weeks, we have had a lot of work on the Samba4 tree, and
> > I think we are closer still to our goal of a technology preview.
> >
> > In the past couple of weeks, we have fixed the Win2000 join bug, and now
> > have the basics of Samba3 domain join operation happening.  Jelmer has
> > been busy starting on some notes on the expected changes, and with
> > Steinar Gunderson has been improving the debian packaging.
> >
> > It is hoped that we will have a Samba4 release in debian experimental.
> >
> > I've been working on KDC issues, to reduce the CPU load of running the
> > KDC (very helpful for then running it under valgrind), and metze has
> > continued his work on the WINS server.
> >
> > On the topic of naming, the list seemed to conclude that we should
> > remain with Samba 4.0 as the name, but that packagers may wish to
> > provide a version allowing a parallel installation with Samba3.
> >
> > The outstanding issues are:
> >  - More documentation (adding/deleting users, probably via ldbedit)
> >  - Cludge-ACLs
> >
> > Better Samba3 and Apple support would be nice, but is far from critical.
>
> Are there features that Samba3 has that are not yet on Samba4? If so, is
> there a plan for how/when to migrate them?

There are many, many features in Samba3 that have not made it into the
Samba4 codebase.  There are no spell-ed out plans as to how this will be
overcome:  it mostly needs folks who understand the problem space to
have the time and inclination.  For example, Volker spent some time
giving us a basic winbindd infrastructure.

> > In IRC discussions it has been suggested that we aim for a tech preview
> > release before Linux.conf.au, on 22nd of this month.  This makes for a
> > very busy few weeks.
>
> Is it really a good idea to do a release immediately before some of the
> key developers are (mostly) offline for a week?

No, but I'm going to try and do it anyway :-)

My feeling is that the worse possible thing we can do is let this
continue to slip.  Now, I'm realistic and think we may end up doing the
release after the conference due to last-moment pressures, but I want to
take a good stab at getting it out there.  It will give tridge something
to talk about in his 'Samba4 update' :-)