[SAMBA4] Progress towards the tech preview

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jan 2 04:52:08 GMT 2006

I wanted to update the list on where we are at towards a technology
preview of Samba4.

In the past few weeks, we have had a lot of work on the Samba4 tree, and
I think we are closer still to our goal of a technology preview.

In the past couple of weeks, we have fixed the Win2000 join bug, and now
have the basics of Samba3 domain join operation happening.  Jelmer has
been busy starting on some notes on the expected changes, and with
Steinar Gunderson has been improving the debian packaging.

It is hoped that we will have a Samba4 release in debian experimental.

I've been working on KDC issues, to reduce the CPU load of running the
KDC (very helpful for then running it under valgrind), and metze has
continued his work on the WINS server.

On the topic of naming, the list seemed to conclude that we should
remain with Samba 4.0 as the name, but that packagers may wish to
provide a version allowing a parallel installation with Samba3.

The outstanding issues are:
 - More documentation (adding/deleting users, probably via ldbedit)
 - Cludge-ACLs

Better Samba3 and Apple support would be nice, but is far from critical.

In IRC discussions it has been suggested that we aim for a tech preview
release before Linux.conf.au, on 22nd of this month.  This makes for a
very busy few weeks.

This would be a great time for more list members to try out Samba4 from
SVN, and let us know about the howlers, before it is covered on
Slashdot...