Moving basic libs to a new repo and release them as a separate package

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Tue Feb 28 00:15:59 GMT 2006

Michael,

 > Um, name one?  Every platform I've ever used (and I've used a lot,
 > including embedded platforms) has supported static libraries.

I think you have to go to some pretty obscure platforms to not have
static libs. Although I've never worked on them, I wouldn't be
confident that the zOS, AmigaDOS and OS/2 ports of Samba could use
static libs, or if they can, that the syntax would be so different
that it won't work out of the box anyway.

Those 3 are also examples of systems where its unlikely that our
current build system (or code!) works without special compatibility
tools and patches anyway, so it really doesn't matter. Especially zOS,
which requires significant changes to cope with the non-ASCII charset
for string constants.

So for our purposes, I think that assuming static libs is quite safe :)

Cheers, Tridge