Moving basic libs to a new repo and release them as a separate package

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat Feb 25 11:45:59 GMT 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 08:21:47AM -0500, Michael Sweet wrote about 'Re: Moving basic libs to a new repo and release them as a separate package':
> >>I don't even really want it in the tree.  I want to link
> >>against a .so file.  I want to write against an API.
> >>I want a versioned library that I can use.  I want a black
> >>box.
> >
> >Much as I (strongly) agree, this would mean dropping support for
> >a few platforms - Stratos VOS and some of the other older unices. Is that
> >an issue?
> There is no reason to not create both static and shared libraries,
> so that platforms without shared library support can still use a
> common library...
The problem is that there are some that even don't have static
libraries. In the past, we've always tried to keep running on those, but
now might be a good time to stop supporting them. I doubt there are
people still using them for anything serious.

Cheers,

Jelmer