smbfs - performance problems

Jürgen Wehner juergen.wehner at rbt-nbg.de
Fri Feb 24 08:21:42 GMT 2006

Hi there,
while transfering files to and from a linux server (smbfs mounted) I got a real bad throughput.

I think I located the problem at the data length of the SMB frame.
The framesize always used was 4096 bytes max  (capturing with ethereal).

at the server I tried a lot of configuration the last:

/etc/samba/smb.conf
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=16384 SO_RCVBUF=16384
        read raw = yes
        write raw = yes
        oplocks = yes
        level2 oplocks = yes
        max xmit = 65536
        dead time = 15
        getwd cache = yes
        lpq cache time = 30

But the problem is the same with standard installation of the samba package.

If I do the same transaction on the same systems but instead with a
smbfs mount with smbclient I got a data length of 65535.

Is there any idea how to configure that buffersize on the client side (smbfs).

At /etc/samba/smb.conf (client) I try to configure

[global]
 max xmit = 65536

but that doesn't help.

any futher idea?

Thanks
Jürgen
--
Sachgebietsleiter Informationstechnik

Fon  +49 911 6573 190
Fax  +49 911 6573 151

EMail juergen.wehner at rbt-nbg.de

-
Rundfunk-Betriebstechnik GmbH, 90431 Nürnberg, Wallensteinstrasse 119
Amtsgericht Nürnberg HRB 609, Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Alfred
Preissner
Telefon: 0911-6573-0, Telefax: 0911-6573-111