Moving basic libs to a new repo and release them as a separate package

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Feb 24 07:18:35 GMT 2006

tridge at samba.org wrote:

> Just to double check, you realise the proposal was
> that the various Samba3 trees would point directly at
> a master tdb and talloc repository, so commits by (for
> example) Simo and me would be immediately and automatically
> reflected in the SAMBA_3_0_RELEASE tree?
>
> If thats really want you want then I guess we can do
> it, it just surprises me a bit. I thought you might have
> wanted to double check things before accepting them into
> the Samba3 code, in case we missed a unexpected consequence
> of a change.
>
> Or did I misunderstand Simos proposal?

Tridge,

I don't even really want it in the tree.  I want to link
against a .so file.  I want to write against an API.
I want a versioned library that I can use.  I want a black
box.

This is the only way that anyone else will ever use standalone
code we produce.  Just give them a header file and a .so file.
We should have done this with libsmbclient.so a long time ago.

I also believe that this will also lower the barrier to
getting involved in Samba development since APIs can be taken
in chunks rather than having to somewhat understand Samba
from top to bottom to fix a bug.

Samba's interfaces internally are too easy for use to change
at will.  We are the only consumers.  There is no pain in
change.  If we ever want to support consumers of our code
other than us, we have to IMO start with making ourselves
a consumer and placing an artificial barrier that says
"Interfaces are designed.  Think before you code."  We
have some really good interfaces and some really bad ones.
The good ones should get reused by others and the bad ones
should get replaced.

But this is only my opinion.  I'd like for Jeremy and Volker
to weigh as well.

cheers, jerry