Moving basic libs to a new repo and release them as a separate package

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Feb 23 22:06:03 GMT 2006

simo wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 21:54 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>> svn:externals could be very useful here
>> (http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s03.html) to share parts of
>> the code tree between Samba3 and Samba4 transparently, which could
>> make stuff like this pretty transparent to folks that do a SVN
>> checkout.
>
> Excellent.

This works well, but keep in mind that you'll need to do some post-
copy cleanup to make copies of the externals (or update the references
to point to a released version) so that future checkouts of that
release/branch have the same contents... :)

What we're doing internally is pointing our svn:externals at release
tags, and manually updating our trunk externals to point to new
releases of the external libraries as needed.

Let me know if my descriptions aren't clear (I'm not sure myself! :)