[ldb] Moving basic libs to a new repo and release them as a separate package

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Feb 23 20:57:35 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 07:18 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> This is good, but how does it differ from the current Makefiles in
> lib/ldb and lib/tdb?  Can't these just be turned into packages for this
> effect?

Yes, but see later why I feel keeping them then does more harm then good
if we want to ship them as separate packages.

> > - More testing/development coming from other projects
> > - Better sharing inside the various team trees, fixes flows into the
> >   separate libraries and we do not risk to miss fixes from one branch
> >   to the other
>
> This is something I think needs work in particular, and I'm not
> convinced this will solve it.  tdb has been 'spun out' before, and sits
> unmaintained on sf.net.
>
> I do think we need to ensure we ship with one version of tdb,
> particularly before the cluster experiments get to far with their own
> forks...

That's why I'd like to remove talloc, tdb and ldb from current trees, so
that you don't modify the local copies and forget about the "main"
branch.

> > - Stabilization of the interfaces
> >
> > I think tdb and talloc are mature good candidates, ldb is still under
> > being actively worked on but there is a lot of interest in it outside
> > the samba team so providing it as a separate tool even in beta stages
> > seem good thing to me.
> >
> > I'd like comments on this proposal, from all the interested parties.
>
> The main issues I see are to do with the build farm (we can't really get
> the owners to install the particular versions of talloc/tdb/ldb to keep
> the builds passing), and the implications for an eventual Samba4
> release.

That can be solved.
We can suck up these libs source and compile them too.

> I think that the current situation works well for Samba, but less so for
> the other projects.  Perhaps the situation is SVN references, or import
> scripts (ethereal imports pidl, another 'samba project').

Something like that can be done I think.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer