Moving basic libs to a new repo and release them as a separate package

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Feb 23 19:55:24 GMT 2006

In the Samba Project we created a number of tools that are not only very
useful and shared between our branches, but also interesting for other
projects.

I would like to propose we move the current ldb, tdb and talloc
libraries to a new branch named samba-base-libs or something like that
and release them as .so/.a libraries. Then make our Samba trees check
for them to be installed on the system and require them to build and run
them.

Being a separate project I see some advantages:
- Other projects will find it easier to adopt the software as they will
  find it easier to provide it to their user in a tiny package without
  requiring them to install samba
- More testing/development coming from other projects
- Better sharing inside the various team trees, fixes flows into the
  separate libraries and we do not risk to miss fixes from one branch
  to the other
- Stabilization of the interfaces

I think tdb and talloc are mature good candidates, ldb is still under
being actively worked on but there is a lot of interest in it outside
the samba team so providing it as a separate tool even in beta stages
seem good thing to me.

I'd like comments on this proposal, from all the interested parties.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer