smb.conf defaults for msdfs parms

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Wed Feb 22 23:34:46 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 16:50 -0600, William Marshall wrote:
> Unless there is a technical reason why, I think the msdfs parameters
> should default to yes and then the flexibility of dfs is available when
> the admin discovers what he can do.

The (only?) reason for the default for msdfs support is for performance,
although I can't remember what the exact penalty is.  I think it either
causes some extra work to be done whenever a file is opened.

This isn't good for benchmarking, although that isn't such a good reason
for setting the defaults the way they are.

> I realized today how nice the msdfs proxy smb.conf parameter can be to
> administrators.
>
> For example, say you have share \\server1\sharea, but \\server1 is getting
> full.
>
> If you have all the msdfs parms setup correctly, you can replace the
> smb,conf path = information with a msdfs proxy = \server2\sharea and your
> windows users will automatically move to the new server.

Yes that's quite a nice use case for dfs especially since a reboot is
required on the client, as you mention below.

Tim.