[pdbsql-devel] Re: pdbsql external project: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdbsql

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Feb 21 13:14:14 GMT 2006

Hi Mario,

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 01:55:17PM +0100, Mario Lipinski wrote about 'Re: [pdbsql-devel] Re: pdbsql external project: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdbsql':
> The autoconf scripts help me a lot since i never worked with that stuff
> before.

> Am Dienstag, den 21.02.2006, 13:21 +0100 schrieb Jelmer Vernooij:
> > I'm subscribed to the mailing lists. I'm still happy to answer
> > questions regarding the original modules or other stuff, but I won't
> > be doing any code contributions, especially as I no longer have a test
> > environment.
> First the {my,pg}sql module consits of two source files.
> pdb_{my,pg}sql.c and pdb_sql.c. pdb_sql.c i think simply contains common
> functions for both modules like doing some smb.conf handling and the
> preparation of the SQL statements.
Yep, that's correct.

> However this file (in its compiled
> version pdb_sql.o) is linked into smbd and other binaries like smbclient
> and libsmbclient.so.... Why are you doing this? I think the sense of a
> module is keeping all that stuff out of the binaries and load them when
> they are needed. So the pdb_sql functionality should in my opinion only
> be included in {mysql,pgsql}.so.
The reason it was originally done like that is because pdb_sql is
independent of any 3rd-party libraries. pdb_mysql can't be compiled
without the mysql library and pdb_pgsql can't be compiled without the
postgresql libraries. The Makefile.in I just sent you does indeed include
pdb_sql.c in the plugins rather then in the main Samba binaries. This
also means that there is no recompilation of Samba needed if you're
going to use the pdb_*sql plugins (althought you do need to have the
Samba source tree around for the header files).

> The second one: Is there general documentation about the passdb api
> available? And if yes, where do i find it?
I'm afraid not. All there is, is the header files in the Samba source.

> The third (and last) one: What has changed with the api between 3.0.21
> and 3.0.22? Where do I find information about this?
This question is probably best answered by Volker or Jerry - I haven't
been watching the API changes closely lately.

Cheers,

Jelmer