BUG 3518: [VFS vfs_extd_audit.c] Option for writing to syslog from vfs_extd_audit.c

Oliver Schulze L. oliver at samera.com.py
Thu Feb 16 18:28:22 GMT 2006

Hi Jerry,

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Olivier,
>
> I'm not opposed to this patch but as a matter of style I would
> rather not wrap the syslog statements in an if() statement
> every time.  Take a look at sys_adminlog() in
> http://viewcvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/branches/SAMBA_2_2/source/lib/system.c?rev=518&view=markup

I can't do a return because still need to call DEBUG(), also I can use
#if defined(HAVE_SYSLOG)
because the syslog logging option comes from the configuration of the module
> Also, I'm not sure why you would not want to write to syslog.
> That's the whole purpose of the module.  Your changes disable
> a lot of the logging altogether.  Why not just specify a local
> user and send that to a separate file (as you mention in BUG 2349).

Yes, I'm using that solution for now. But since the documentation says
that extd_audit
can write to syslog and to log files, and some people wants to have only
the audit info
separated by user (logs/%m.%U.log), I made this small patch.
> Like I said, I'm not opposed, but I need to be sold on the
> benefits of the patch a little bit more.  Right now, it seems
> like adding an additional parameter to the configuration with
> very little payback.

No problem, I'm very opened to suggestions.
And of which is to code the patch in full_audit.c, since it is more newer
as Volker Lendecke said in bugzilla.

I'm using the syslog solution for auditing right now, but I will like to
have
the audit messages separated by username. Optionally, having separated
by computer/username.

I don't think the patch should be applyed yet, I need to post another patch
and maybe a patch for vfs_full_audit.c

Thanks the reply,
Oliver
/ <mailto:vl at samba.org>/