Problems creating a Kerberos test (sw_gethostbyname?)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 15 01:41:15 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 11:54 +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Andrew,
>
>  > While samba.org is the spiritual home of LD_PRELOAD hacks, I'm really
>  > hoping to avoid having to do that portably across all our build farm
>  > machines...
>
> indeed. I love LD_PRELOAD for quick hacks, but it isn't even portable
> across Linux platforms (try it on ppc64 with 32 bit userland for
> example), and is most definately not portable to enough platforms for
> our build farm.
>
> LD_PRELOAD is used when you can't modify the source. We can modify the
> source (as we have heimdal in-tree) so LD_PRELOAD is not needed.

I was talking with Jay Fenlason (RedHat maintainer) about testing, and
he has a problem that he wants to run testsuites for QA, but that these
tests must be done on the production binaries (a standard requirement at
RedHat apparently).

Is it possible for the socketwrapper code to be used as an LD_PRELOAD,
to allow this kind of 'final binary' testing (of the built RPMS)?  I
realise as soon as you add/remove LD_PRELOAD you invalidate some of the
testing, but I wonder if there were any other barriers to this approach?