Problems creating a Kerberos test (sw_gethostbyname?)

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Feb 15 00:40:57 GMT 2006

Andrew,

I can see a couple of approaches that might work. One is to put hooks
in the heimdal code, equivalent to the environment variable hacks I
put into MIT krb5 for the early AS work in Samba3. It doesn't have to
be via environment variables, but it would have to be some sort of
heimdal hack to tell it to not use the normal resolver, and instead
use something else.

The other approach would be to do a resolver equivalent of our
socketwrapper code, which means linking to functions which will take
over the resolver calls when configured (and possibly enabled via an
environment variable).

I guess the main question to decide on the approach is what the
narrowest "choke point" in the heimdal code is, to catch all the calls
you need. Are there one or two central functions that could be changed
to catch all the cases you need? Are the functions in this "choke
point" most naturally the resolver functions themselves, or some
higher level abstraction in heimdal?

 > To test this area properly, I really need to direct all host lookups to
 > an 'internal' DNS, pointed at the zone file provision generates.

you really want to parse the zone file, or are you comfortable in
having our test system hard-code some specific results? The latter is
much easier of course.

Cheers, Tridge