Problems creating a Kerberos test (sw_gethostbyname?)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 15 00:36:31 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 18:49 -0500, simo wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 09:25 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for pointers and suggestions on how we can do this,
> > hopefully without effectively re-inventing a DNS server, and still
> > covering all the cases.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> I see 2 ways.
>
> 1. provide a test bind server on one public host so that buildfarm
> machines can update fields through some sort of authentication, and do
> queries at will.

A public host with the DNS setup for the current 'make test'
requirements could certainly work.  It would cause 'make test' to spew
out network traffic and fail on disconnected laptops however...

> 2. ask buildfarmers to install a binary of bind or provide a copy in the
> buildfarm ourselves and run it using our own provisioned data locally.
>
> both solutions may need us to use chroot to have our own resolv.conf
> file pointing to localhost, but I think it may be doable.

Currently the build farm is a non-root instance without a chroot().  It
would be a massive extra burden to require build machines to be redone
in a chroot, and we would loose most of the farm in the process.

Furthermore, this is about more than the build farm, as each developer
should run 'make test', and get results identical to the build farm.
Should a full chroot carefully constructed be made a barrier to Samba4
development?

I'll keep thinking on this, it's hard...