VOTE: proposal to strip out pdb_context and pdb_methods chaining

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Feb 14 05:50:06 GMT 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 07:57:44AM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote about 'Re: VOTE: proposal to strip out pdb_context and pdb_methods chaining':
> Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > Sorry, I was at first under the impression that this
> > was about the multiple backends code only, which I
> > indeed think are a bad idea to have  in the core. I quite
> > liked the different contexts though, and I think
> > the overhead they add is rather limited.
> The only place where a list of contexts was ever used was
> with the guest passdb backend.  That one is easier enough to
> hard code.  The overhead needed to modify the API for a
> single functions is just silly.  This idea is interesting,
> but is never used.
I don't think the overhead is that big. It's simply an extra parameter
to all the passdb function calls. The only problem is that all the code
that uses the passdb simply calls functions that then call the 'real'
functions with a static context. The only problem I see is the
pdbedit -i -e stuff, which would be broken by this, though that could
probably be fixed by having some kind of dump format.

> Sorry.  But the voting closed a few days ago while you were
> on vacation and the changes have been checked in.
Oops. Sorry about that. I guess I'm not really entitled to a vote
here anyhow as I'm no longer working on that code.

Cheers,

Jelmer