VOTE: proposal to strip out pdb_context and pdb_methods chaining

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Feb 13 20:39:36 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 07:57 -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I was at first under the impression that this
> > was about the multiple backends code only, which I
> > indeed think are a bad idea to have  in the core. I quite
> > liked the different contexts though, and I think
> > the overhead they add is rather limited.
>
> Jelmer,
>
> The only place where a list of contexts was ever used was
> with the guest passdb backend.  That one is easier enough to
> hard code.  The overhead needed to modify the API for a
> single functions is just silly.  This idea is interesting,
> but is never used.
>
> Sorry.  But the voting closed a few days ago while you were
> on vacation and the changes have been checked in.

How does the import/export code in pdbedit work currently?

I realise voting has closed, objections overruled and the train well out
of the station etc, but I really do feel that two issues have been mixed
up here, and useful functionality discarded in the haste.

The indirection of a function that specifies pdb_methods as and argument
seems very low to me, and keeps that import/export code intact.