VOTE: proposal to strip out pdb_context and pdb_methods chaining

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sun Feb 12 21:19:42 GMT 2006

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 03:35:09AM +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote about 'Re: VOTE: proposal to strip out pdb_context and pdb_methods chaining':
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 04:52:58PM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote about 'VOTE: proposal to strip out pdb_context and pdb_methods chaining':
> > Time to vote:

> > I would really like to strip out the pdb_context stuff.
> > The idea of chaining passdb backends is nice but overly
> > complicated the code and has never really provided any
> > practical use.  We really one need one SAM.  If anyone
> > wants to provide an interface similar to the current one,
> > they can write a meta-sam that consildates storage from
> > mutliple places.

> > We can export from one passdb to import to another by
> > using an intermediate format (LDIF, XML, etc...)

> > This seems as good a time as any to fix this since we are
> > chewing up the user/group formats anyways.  I'll post to
> > the samba ml and see if anyone is really using the
> > chained passdb interface (geeze...I *hope* no one is).

> > So pass in your ballots please.  +1 or -1.
> +1. While useful in some cases (I used it to keep my machine accounts
> out of MySQL), it really belongs in a seperate plugin.
Sorry, I was at first under the impression that this was about the
multiple backends code only, which I indeed think are a bad idea to have
in the core. I quite liked the different contexts though, and I think
the overhead they add is rather limited.

Cheers,

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> - http://jelmer.vernstok.nl/