Samba doesn't detect any network interface

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Feb 9 23:33:20 GMT 2006

Tomasz,

 > Samba (smbd nor nmbd) doesn't detect any network interface on my system.
 >
 > Perhaps it is because the system is a bit exotic (mipsel, uClibc,
 > remember the "embedded Samba" thread?).

You should debug it like this:

  gcc -g -o interfaces lib/interfaces.c -DAUTOCONF_TEST=1 -DHAVE_IFACE_IFCONF=1

That creates a standalone program that tests just the interfaces
code. Then run ./interfaces as root to test. If it fails, then debug
it under gdb, and work out what it is doing wrong.

When it works you should see something like this:

 got 2 interfaces:
 eth0       IP=10.61.2.142 NETMASK=255.255.255.0
 lo         IP=127.0.0.1 NETMASK=255.0.0.0

My guess would be a uClibc problem.

Cheers, Tridge