Upgrade issue with 3.0.21b->3.0.22

Wed Feb 8 08:19:57 GMT 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:06:38AM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> If we auto-map using the algorithm we can run into conflicts
> with vampired or otherwise created objects, like explicit
> group mappings done by the admin. The 'algorithmic rid base'
> was created to prevent problems with this, but I've seen too
> many installations that get this wrong to have come to the
> conclusion that this does simply not work.

Replying to myself...

That alone would not be a good enough reason to justify
such an intrusive change.

The main reason is that we definitely need allocated RIDs to
create local groups. These are not created using the 'add
group script', they are an artificial thing of Samba. Mixing
the RID allocator with algorithmic mapping is bound to break
sooner or later. What if your 'add group script' happened to
use a gid that maps to a RID that you have used for creating
a local group a week ago? Configuring this correctly is an
administrative nightmare that we can not explain to anybody.

Volker