A packet or streams layer for GENSEC/SASL?

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Sun Feb 5 14:12:26 GMT 2006

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>>It seems to me that just as gnutls is free to accept 'writes' and manage
>>it's own 'network socket' (by means of plugin 'read'/'write' functions),
>>that is how SASL wants us to behave.  A SASL layer should break up the
>>LDAP packets into 4-byte prefixed SASL packets, for output on a stream
>>socket.

   The same applies to low-level filesystem I/O as well,
with Samba being free to use quite large buffers
and the lower levels optionally shrinking them.

   This is almost the exact opposite of how Samba
works now: unless you specify a large write size,
Samba uses small sized buffers whose size
correspond to what is desirable on the network,
and we hope that read(1) will coalesce them.

   Fortunately this works on Linux, but it's
a giant performance pain on BSD-derived
filesystems (like mine!)

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,      | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto | some people and astonish the rest