Client-side messaging

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 4 04:00:10 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 14:43 +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Andrew,
>
>  > Would it be possible for messaging servers to listen both for stream and
>  > datagram requests, so I don't have to create a (unique) socket each
>  > time?
>
> I'm not sure what you are suggesting. You realise that the messaging
> is currently based on datagrams?

Yes, I know this.

> The need to create a socket is
> because we are using unix domain sockets for the 'name space', instead
> of UDP sockets. Using UDP sockets is a problem as we would have to
> protect against non-samba processes sending us packets.

Indeed, and as a private root-only transport we have definite security
advantages.

> If you already understand that we use datagrams, then I guess you're
> asking to also listen on streams, but that would means considerably
> more work per message, not less. The first cut at the samba4 messagng
> code used streams and I found it was quite a bad idea, because of all
> the setup needed (the accept/connect steps).

Bad idea in terms of code complexity, or just the overhead on what need
to be fast messages?

Honestly, I don't care how it's implemented, but it seemed to me that
every client program (or server acting in a client context) that must
interact with the other servers having to pick a random number, create a
socket, then listen on it for replies, then delete it, was perhaps not
the best solution.

That's why I suggested that we might listen on both, so that these
'client' programs would not have to write socket files (under what
name?) first.