Client-side messaging

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Sat Feb 4 03:43:27 GMT 2006

Andrew,

 > Would it be possible for messaging servers to listen both for stream and
 > datagram requests, so I don't have to create a (unique) socket each
 > time?

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. You realise that the messaging
is currently based on datagrams? The need to create a socket is
because we are using unix domain sockets for the 'name space', instead
of UDP sockets. Using UDP sockets is a problem as we would have to
protect against non-samba processes sending us packets.

If you already understand that we use datagrams, then I guess you're
asking to also listen on streams, but that would means considerably
more work per message, not less. The first cut at the samba4 messagng
code used streams and I found it was quite a bad idea, because of all
the setup needed (the accept/connect steps).

Cheers, Tridge