[Samba] Samba 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 4 00:05:07 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 12:39 +1300, Rhys Goodwin wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I know it's only TP1 and maybe? this isn't the best place to ask but where
> do I start?

For now, user questions on Samba4 are best directed to the
samba-technical list.  I'm more likely to notice them there.

> I've download the debian experimental Samba 4 TP1 package and installed it.
> The debian installer did the provisioning and I've set up dns. I set up a
> share and it all seems to work fine with the built-in administrator account.
> But what now? how do  I join computers to the domaind?

You should be able to join them from the client, as you do to Samba4.
There are no scripts required.

> Do I still need
> something like nss/pam ldap to enumerate UNIX users?

Currently the best option is to manually add matching unix users.  This
will be improved.

> how do I manage the
> directory? How do I login to the directory with generic directory browser.
> eg. what would then DN be?

for my test domain of tammy.abartlet.net, administrator is:

CN=Administrator,CN=Users,DC=tammy,DC=abartlet,DC=net

We welcome reports of which admin utilities work and which fail, as our
LDAP support isn't complete yet.

> Is SWAT operational at this stage? How would I go about accessing it. Or am
> I missing something obvious??

It should be listening on port 901.  It doesn't do very much at the
moment, but that's where you will find it.