Client-side messaging

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 3 22:34:39 GMT 2006

Tridge,

In the Samba4 'net join' code, I need to send a message to the
nbt_server, so as to do a netbios GetDC request.  Unfortunately, this
requires creating a socket in the temporary directory.  While I think I
understand why you moved away from streams for the server->server
communications, it makes it overly difficult to handle a single 'just
one question'.

Would it be possible for messaging servers to listen both for stream and
datagram requests, so I don't have to create a (unique) socket each
time?

In -r 13317 I made a messaging_client_init function, which at least
hides the ugly use of random() inside the messaging code, but I figure
there has to be a better way than this.