tdb and file-per-hash-chain

Thu Feb 2 09:18:46 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:10:36AM +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> otherwise you will get the situation that users will scream that "all
> I did was look at a directory listing and everything went slow on my
> mega-buck cluster!".

That's soo funny :-)

I did have exactly the same problem with GPFS, and could successfully replicate
that without any Samba involvement at all....

> People want clustered Samba for different reasons. For those who want
> it just for the convenience of accessing their existing cluster via
> SMB then the speed won't matter. For those who are installing a
> cluster because they think it will give them better performance then I
> think they will be very disappointed with any system that tries to
> cluster at the tdb level.

All true. But at least _I_ want something out there that does the stuff
correctly first and then build upon the experiences we make with it.

When I'm about to implement that at a customer it is going to be _VERY_ clear
that this will suck speed-wise and that it is mainly usable for failover.

Volker