Building an embedded Samba4

Steve Kennedy steve at gbnet.org
Thu Feb 2 00:03:06 GMT 2006

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 08:35:19PM +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> Jeremy Allison schrieb:
> >On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 11:40:06AM +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> >>It works on an ASUS WL-500g Deluxe router (it costs about 90 USD/euro,
> >>there are other models, too[2]): 32 MB RAM, 200 MHz mipsel CPU, 5
> >>ethernet ports, wireless, but can be installed on much more - so after
> >>connecting a DSL modem to it, it can be a router + domain controller for
> >>a small office (4 ethernet ports are left after connecting a DSL modem,
> >>so it would be perfect for an office of 4 workers).
> >>Of course you can have more users, just use a switch, but I wouldn't
> >>recommend keeping too many user profiles...
> >>It is based on Linux / OpenWRT distribution.
> >>It works as a PDC right now, stores user profiles etc.
> >Wow ! Well done - pretty amazing work there. What are your
> >plans for this ? Are you going to use it internally or
> >are you planning to make it available as some form of
> >product ?
> Well, right now it's "still not there" :)
> If you're interested in a product, you can contact the company I'm
> working for and which allows me to spend time on it :-) -
> http://syneticon.net
> But seriously, perhaps I should set up a website or a project on
> sourceforge.net (Samba-embedded?), and describe all that, provide
> binaries, compiling instructions, documentation etc.?

Linksys have a product - their EFG250 which is a NAS product supporting
two internal disks and GigE.

Using smbclient: -
Domain=[GBNET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.7b-ja-1.0]

It's an embedded Linux and obviously Samba.

Code is available from the Linksys support section (GPL)

Steve

home steve at gbnet.org
NetTek Ltd    tel/fax +44-(0)207 483 2455
Email to SMS steve - epage (at) gbnet dot net