file creatation rights issue

jason bigler jason_bigler at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 20:51:07 GMT 2006

I am having an issue with file creatation ownership
rights with my samba public shares.

When an authenticated user (ADS - via krb5&ldap)
creates a file on the public share the defualt
ownership rights are as follows,

samba\root         <full control>
Everyone           <read>
samba\Domain Users <read,write>

the authenticated user him/her self should be the
owner however everyfile is created with the samba\root
as the owner.

What I find intersting is the file ownership is
correct on the home shares.

Where have I gone wrong?

completely stumped,
jason

p.s. Here is my configs for smb.conf and the pam samba
module
{smb.conf}
        Realm = DOMAIN.COM
        SECURITY = ADS
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m
        idmap backend = ad
        encrypt passwords = yes
        ldap admin dn =
cn=bindusername,dc=domain,dc=com
        dns proxy = no
        wins proxy = no
        wins server = servername.domain.com
        obey pam restrictions = yes

[share]
        comment = local file share
        path = /var/share/files
        valid users = %U
        admin users = @IT
        read only = no
          create mode = 0774
          directory mode = 0775

[home]
        comment = users home share
        path = /home/%U
        valid users = %U
        read only = no
        root preexec = /root/scripts/mkhomedir.sh %U

{samba pam module}
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_krb5.so
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_unix.so
nullok try_first_pass
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account    sufficient   /lib/security/pam_krb5.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so

password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
retry=3
password   required     /lib/security/pam_krb5.so
use_first_pass use_authtok
password   required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so
nullok use_first_pass use_authtok md5
password   required     /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session    sufficient   /lib/security/pam_krb5.so
session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.s