ready to merge trunk over SAMBA_3_0 ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 1 20:07:15 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 14:03 -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 01:39:03PM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> >> No.  The merge is basically one bigpatch.  The history
> >> stays in trunk.  SAMBA_3_0 just sees one really large
> >> commit.
> >
> > What about a svn rename of trunk to branches/SAMBA_3_0
> > after removing that one?
>
> I don't think that will get you want you want.
>
> Why is this even any issue?  We've always done the
> trunk -> SAMBA_3_0 merges by simply applying the diff.
> Besides there's a lof duplicated checkins between the
> tho branches anyways.

It is an issue because of how much information we loose.  This is a
particularly big merge, and I think we should take care to retain the
history if we can.

We should do it more often.  I've been using 'svn cp' to merge files
from Samba3 to Samba4, and I think that where the merge between branches
is of 'intact' files, we should use that approach.  Where is it the
wholesale tree, then I think we should have svn merge across the
wholesale tree.