Building an embedded Samba4

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Feb 1 15:43:48 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 15:42 +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> > Consider also that samba is database driven and works a lot with tdb
> > files, where do you keep them ?
>
> I guess it can be safely kept in tmpfs.
> Even if the device is disconnected, and the contents of tmpfs is lost,
> it doesn't do any harm to loose *.tdb files, does it?
> I mean, if I stop Samba, remove all *.tdb and *.dat files (leaving
> secrets.tdb only), and then start Samba again, it should run fine?
> At least that's the case for me. Or I missed something?

do you use winbindd? in that case better you make sure to use idamp_ldap
or you will loose all sid<->uid mappings each time you wipe the
winbindd_idamp.tdb file (for trusted domains and foreign sids for
example).

> No replication? Too bad.
> I really need replication, so I guess I can't use Samba4 right now.

Well, I think some trick may be done like changing your copy of samba4
to use an ldap backend for ldb and pointing it to another samba4 server
(the master). Not sure if that would work, should be a funny experiment.

Of course, when the master goes down all the bad happens.
We need replication, I may bring up a very basic module to do that.
something like the replication scheme that uses ldap 2.0 which is just
resubmitting all add/modify/rename operations to the slave. Should be
easy to I may give it a try one of this days.

Simo.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce