AW: accessing shares on a normal standalone server from domclient if no logon server is available

Marco Haferkamp mahaf at gmx.net
Wed Feb 1 09:00:50 GMT 2006

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Ahhh...ok.  Jeremy thinks the change was the one for interoperating with
PocketPC (Windows Mobile 2003).

Hmm so the 1% of PocketPC User are now happy to access there shares on a
samba Server, but as longer they are testing they think of that it isn´t
practical because of the limted bandwith and capacity, so they go back to
synchronization via Dockingstation and Desktop.

The 38% of WinXP Domclient Users wondering why they get a Popup now,  where
they have to enter Username Password, when they try to access a public share
that is public without any restrictions and no need of Username / Password
(They don´t have to do this with 3.0.20b and all previous versions). By the
way you can enter any Username Password you want, to access then the public
share, so why ask for a Username and Password :) ??

The 61% of W2k Users are now totally frustrated because of the stupid
Messages: "There are currently no logon Servers available to..." when they
try to access a public share that is public without any restrictions and no
need of Username / Password. The only way they can access the share now is
manual connect a share using any username password they want against the
samba server like this: "net use y: \\192.168.1.253\public
/USER:192.168.1.253\dummyuser"

This behaviour starts with 3.0.21a, any Versions before everything works
fine.

Hope you guys understand what i mean.

Ciao,
Marco