svn commit: samba r20394 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source: include lib smbd

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Dec 30 06:21:52 GMT 2006

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 08:26:11PM -0800, James Peach wrote:

> On 28/12/2006, at 11:47 PM, Volker Lendecke wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 02:24:16PM -0800, James Peach wrote:
> >>What's the goal of this work? ie. can you give a idea of the final
> >>design that you are working towards?
> >
> >Easy: Survive the Samba4 RAW-NOTIFY test.
>
> So are you intending that all the notification events pass through
> the messaging system? fam and inotify are more suited to adding file
> descriptors to the main select loop. I hope that I'll get to adding
> notify support for BSD/Darwin soon, and I think this will suit a
> similar model.

Actually, I think the best way of doing this is to hook
the FAM/inotify events into the main loop and get them
to send notification messages to be picked up in the same
way that systems without FAM or inotify will receive them.

That way we keep the server receieve event -> client notification path
the same for all systems, and only add in extra front ends
to send "receieve event" messages into the "standard"
event processing (if you see what I mean).

Jeremy.