Using Samba 3.x to access Novell NetWare servers

Ravi Natarajan R.Natarajan at F5.com
Thu Dec 28 02:14:05 GMT 2006

Thanks for response. Novell has fixed the issue in their NW 6.2 SP2
version. But it's still an issue with NW versions prior to 6.2, and they
don't have a fix for it. I'm just wondering is there any patch available
form samba to make the samba client deal with this kind of data
corruption.

I will send the packet captures.

Thanks
Ravi

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher R. Hertel [mailto:crh at ubiqx.mn.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 6:06 PM
To: Ravi Natarajan
Cc: samba-technical at samba.org
Subject: Re: Using Samba 3.x to access Novell NetWare servers

Ravi Natarajan wrote:
> The Novell NW servers were running CIFS service when we tested it.
When
> we tested samba 3.0.10b client with Novell NW 5.1 CIFS server, we
> noticed that the FIND_FIRST2 Data segment of the Trans2 Response was
> corrupted - some additional bits were added to the response data that
> corrupted the file names.

Ah.  Okay.

So if it's the data segment of the response that's corrupted, then it'd
be
the server that is sending the bad data, yes?

You would have to contact them about the fix for that problem, and they
would probably tell you to upgrade your copy of their product.  The only
other option (assuming the data itself is correct in the packet) is to
modify the Samba code to deal with the data corruption if/when it is
detected.

It'd be interesting to see the packet captures.

Chris -)-----

jCIFS Team -- http://jcifs.samba.org/   -)-----   ubiqx development,
uninq.
ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org