libsmbclient: Vista servers disconnect on netbios keepalive message on port 445

derrell at samba.org derrell at samba.org
Wed Dec 27 17:04:56 GMT 2006

"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> writes:

> It's a minor point, but I'll mention again that the port number alone may
> not be enough to properly determine whether NBT or naked TCP transport is
> being used.

Actually, in this case, I think it probably is.  This is libsmbclient and we
are issuing the requests on either port 139 or port 445.  We know which port
we've used and we used it intentionally.  In this case, if the destination has
played games with port-mapping, they can't expect it to work.  An old Windows
client would use port 139, knowing nothing about port 445, and would exhibit
exactly the same behavior when it sent keep-alive requests.

Or am I missing something?

Derrell