shared libs?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Dec 21 13:46:50 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 15:32 +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:
>  > I'm not sure. The infrastructure for using sonames is there, but we do
>  > indeed need some sort of policy for the version numbers.
>
> That's going to be the trickiest bit to manage I think. It's probably
> the main reason why I've never been a big fan of shared libs - so many
> projects manage the major/minor number badly then as an application
> developer you get burned when code breaks when a library is upgraded.
Right, that's always the challenge :-) There are a couple of tools that can help though.
In particular icheck(http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/icheck)
might be useful. I'll have a closer look once we come nearer to an
actual stable release; there's no point in versioning interfaces right
now.

> Still, at least our interfaces and dependencies are a bit saner than
> they used to be in Samba3 :-)
(-: I've trimmed the number of libraries in Samba4 somewhat, there are
"only" 24 now, and I think those all deserve to be separate libs.

> PS: Thanks for the pidl test fixes!
You're welcome - sorry it took so long!

Cheers,

Jelmer