shared libs?

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Thu Dec 21 13:30:11 GMT 2006

tridge at samba.org wrote:
> What will we do with library versions with the 100 libs? At the moment
> we just have them all as 0.0.1. What criterion do we use for changing
> that? If we change an interface, how do we ensure the library major
> version changes too?

	The solarii version-number individual interfaces, and
	we used to use an awk script to see if the function signature
	changed from the one in the in the .spec file. If so, it
	bumped the version number up to the next category.

	This was really so we'd detect changes and provide both new
	and old versions, for a case where
	- the versions were defined by specifications such as POSIX
	- they didn't change all that often.

	The more common case, where interfaces change with
	the phase of the moon (;-)) requires a bit of human
	inspection, to see if this is a compatible change,
	and if so change the minor number of the library or
	individual interface, or an incompatible one, and
	in that case change the major number.

	Edsel Adap and I used to do the latter for stuff still in
	development, and therefor mutating wildly (;-))

	Can you give a bit more information about what you'd like
	to achieve?  I can probably make some simple suggestions
	and scripts to support them automagicaly.

--dave (formerly of the ABI Stability team) c-b
(416) 223-5943