shared libs?

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Dec 21 02:48:56 GMT 2006

Jelmer,

 > We always build the shared libraries now at the moment, if possible. The
 > shared libraries are used for the pidl tests (the tests need to link
 > against the ndr library).

ok, if they need to link against the ndr library, shouldn't we just
build that library?

I'm also very skeptical about the advantages of having Samba split
into more than 100 shared libraries. If someone wanted to actually use
these shared libraries for another app, would we really be
recommending a link line with more than 100 libraries? Managing shared
library versions with half a dozen libs is bad enough - having to deal
with over 100 is just silly.

If we generated maybe 10 libraries then I could see that as being a
manageable number. We'd need to develop some techniques for managing
library versions though.

What will we do with library versions with the 100 libs? At the moment
we just have them all as 0.0.1. What criterion do we use for changing
that? If we change an interface, how do we ensure the library major
version changes too?

Cheers, Tridge