Samba WMI Question

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Dec 15 04:04:47 GMT 2006

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:59:03 -0600
<layerX at verizon.net> wrote:

> Dear Cool People,
>
> I have a need to access the windows WMI interface from a linux server. I
> have seen a few email threads where others had asked the same question but
> the posts are a few years old.
>
> Is there any reference you could point me to that is recent regarding either
> samba and WMI or someother way to accomplish this?
>
> What I really want to do is to stop and start processes on a windows machine
> from linux.  Creating a share and executing the wmic cli is all I have come
> up with so far.

Note that JCIFS recently added offical support for MSRPC and the IDL
compiler we use has been updated to generate stubs for it. I don't know
if WMI relies on COM or DCOM but if it's straight DCERPC over SMB you
might be able to take Samba's WMI idl (is there any?) and make a nice
cross platform Java program that uses JCIFS.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen
PHP Active Directory SSO