using splice system call in smbd

saeed bishara saeed.bishara at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 13:41:28 GMT 2006

> > Hi,
> >   Linux kernel 2.6.17 introduced new system calls, the splice() and
> > tee(), see http://kerneltrap.org/node/6505. using those system calls
> > supposed to eliminate the copy_to/from_user in when writing files, the
> > same way the sendfile does for reads. so is there any body how tried
> > to use those functions in samba server?
>
> Not that I'm aware of.  I'd be interested in performance
> comparisons against sendfile (in a patched version of Samba).

The sendfile is actually changed to use the splice see
http://lwn.net/Articles/181170/.  so I don't expect changes in the
read direction. the interesting test will be writing to Samba server,
here I'm expecting significant improvement, since with splice, the
buffers will not be copied from the kernel socket to the user then
copied back to kernel file buffer. I'm I right?

saeed