SMB signing and 2ROT13

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Dec 8 21:03:09 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 11:52 -0800, Dave Daugherty wrote:
> I saw this problem when implementing SMB signing on a non Samba product
> when working against a windows 2000 service pack 2.
> The windows server negotiated signing, but in fact it did not sign the
> last session setup and X response and just reflected back what I sent.
> My workaround was to check if it was the sessionSetupAndX response
> message and if it reflected back my last signature.
>
> In this case I continued to sign my packets, but stopped checking the
> signatures from the windows 2000 server.

Hmm, this is an interesting case.  We are a little more optimistic than
windows in signing the session setup requests.  Windows will start
signing on the server with the last session setup reply, but sends only
"BSRSPYL " as the signature on all requests.  The last session setup
reply should contain a valid signature, unless signing is turned off by
policy.

As a rule, when signing is not required by policy, the windows server
simply echos back the client values.