[Samba] Rev #2 of the 3.02.3c patch

Don Meyer dlmeyer at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 31 16:50:40 GMT 2006

Jerry,

In the future, when doing these pre-release tests, would it make
sense to adjust the Release tags in the RPM packaging sections to
reflect an ordered but prerelease nature of the builds?

For instance, the first patch set built "3.0.23c-1" rpms.   The
second patch set also builds "3.0.23c-1" rpms.  These aren't seen as
updates, and would have to be force-installed.

I manually adjusted the Release tag in the SPEC file from "1" to "2",
to build "3.0.23c-2" rpms, which will then update cleanly.   When the
release tarball comes out, you'll probably still have the RPM Release
tags still at "1", and then I'll have to adjust the SPEC's Release: tag to "3".

May I suggest adjusting the Release tags in the SPEC files upward for
each successive patch/release?     One could (I think) even adopt a
strategy of using Release values of "0.1", "0.2", etc. for prerelease
patches/tests/etc., and then jumping to "1" for the actual "release" versions.

Cheers,
-D