C99 structure initialisers and Samba3

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri Aug 25 01:29:48 GMT 2006

Neil,

 > The latest version of the Sun compilers ("Sun Studio 11") is a
 > free(-as-in-beer) download, and they support Solaris 8, 9 and 10.

ahh, great. I hadn't realised it was a free download. That changes
things a fair bit actually.

So on Solaris8 and newer we can ask people to update to a newer version of
the compiler if they have an ancient one. On IRIX it looks like we can
use the -c99 flag to enable the use of C99 initialisers (still need to
test that with ldb).

If this works out, then we greatly reduce what systems we lose with
C99 initialisers.

Cheers, Tridge