C99 structure initialisers and Samba3

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Aug 23 22:28:26 GMT 2006

Jerry,

 > We could add fairly benign checks to configure.in (just tests,
 > not requirements) in the next 3.0.23 release and see what
 > response we get.

It certainly wouldn't do any harm to add those tests, but do you think
many people will bother to report the configure output?

I tend to go by what we have in the build farm, on the basis that if
nobody has bothered to submit a build farm machine then it probably
isn't a widely used platform. A bit arbitrary I know :)

It looks like we have 5 host/compiler combinations that would be
affected in the farm. They are sun1/cc, sun9/cc, SerNet-solaris8/cc,
us4/cc, and au2/cc.

Two of them don't seem to be also running gcc. Volker, does
SerNet-solaris8 not have gcc installed? What about sun9?

The one I'd really most regret losing is us4/cc. The irix compiler has
excellent warnings, especially for errors related to 64 bit
compilation. We've found quite a few bugs using the warnings from that
compiler over the years. It's not quite as vital now that we have some
other 64 bit hosts (au2 and us4 used to be the only ones), but still
its annoying to lose them.

Even so, I think that C99 initialisers are worth it.

Cheers, Tridge