Storing only a salted, hashed password for offline creds

Hansjörg Maurer Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Mon Aug 21 06:00:00 GMT 2006

Hi

>From where would we obtain the password hashes to cache?
>
>We could become a BDC and download them, but that is another can of
>worms.

unfortunatly I have no idea, how this could be realized:-)
A sales representive of vintella told us, that they have a patched
version of samba
which can, in conjunction with the vintella authentications services VAS
cache credentials as a ADS Domain Member server for clients which  logon
(not for the first time) when the DC is not available.

I was hoping, that we can use winbind instead of VAS (for Unix Logins)
and if winbind is able to cache credentials for local unix logons, it
might be
possible that samba with windind could cache credentials in a similar
way like
samba and VAS.

Thank you for clarification

Greetings