[SAMBA4] Make paged results the default in ldb_ildap

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 14 01:43:31 GMT 2006

Simo,

A while ago, we discussed my desire for the paged results control to be
enabled by default, on all LDAP queries.

For the benefit of the list, I was discussing with simo a problem I was
having, with downloading a large amount of data from AD's LDAP server.

At the current time, I'm looking to download schema information from
AD's LDAP server, but I'm likewise interested in how an async winbindd
could be built, given we now have the infrastructure.

I know I can specify magic options to ldbsearch, but this misses the
point:

My assertion is that the caller, and in the case of the ldbsearch
binary, the user, should have this 'just work'.  If the search would
return too many entries for one try, it should retry with paged results
transparently.

I'm happy to make it possible for the caller to disable it, but I would
like the control to be on by default, as otherwise there is a differece
in behaviour between the TDB and LDAP backends.

This would also allow our clients to make large searches via our LDAP
server, where we can then apply the sort control and similar.
Otherwise, clients can only do large searches against tdb (which has no
such size limit).