svn commit: samba r17512 - in branches/SOC/mkhl/ldb-map/modules: .

Martin Kühl mkhl at samba.org
Sun Aug 13 11:41:43 GMT 2006

On 8/13/06, simo <idra at samba.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 15:56 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 00:22 +0000, mkhl at samba.org wrote:
> > > Author: mkhl
> > > Date: 2006-08-13 00:22:52 +0000 (Sun, 13 Aug 2006)
> > > New Revision: 17512
> > >
> > > WebSVN: http://websvn.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?view=rev&root=samba&rev=17512
> > >
> > > Log:
> > > Bring the copyleft header in line with mainline and the other modules.
> >
> > Did you receive permission from the other authors to LGPL this module?
> >
> > I would personally prefer this module remained GPL.
>
> I agree with Andrew.
>
> Usually modules under dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules are under the GNU GPL, not
> the LGPL, please revert this change.

Okay, I screwed up.  Now to document the ways in which I did...

The code I started with was LGPL licensed, but I inadvertently changed
that in r16505:
<http://viewcvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/branches/SOC/mkhl/ldb-map/modules/ldb_map.c?rev=16505&r1=16500&r2=16505>

My recollection is that I copied the module header from the partition
module, mainly because of the different postal address of the FSF,
which I assumed to be more current. (Mistake #1: Not checking that
assumption.)
The change in license (LGPL to GPL) somehow escaped me then (#2: Not
reading the produced diffs carefully), and I committed the change.
(#3: Not committing different changes as different revisions.)

I noticed the change while producing patches against ldb mainline
(where ldb_map.c is still LGPLed) and decided to revert it because a)
the change was a mistake and b) I thought I would have needed
permission to change the license to GPL in the first place.  (#4: Not
properly documenting my change.  #5: Not discussing a change in an
area I have little expertise in first.)

I have reverted the reverting change now (i.e. the module is GPLed
now), and have been told that the LGPL may be upgraded to GPL without
asking permisson first.

Thanks,
Martin